Sunday, June 3, 2012

Celtics, Heat and the Refs

It's time to take a break, my eyes, my neck, peanut butter gone from the spoon.  Too much computer.  Splash water in my eyes.  I grab a shirt, thinking cup of coffee at the Montana Galley.  I'll say hi to Helena, the owner.  She's the blond.

The stairs to the sidewalk, and  two blocks up the boulevard.

I'm there.  A man is leaving, wearing a Celtics Jersey.  I hold the door.

"Well," I say.  "You're a little ways from home."

He blinks, and touches his chest.

"You're trading icy cold winters for earthquakes, I guess,"  I say.
 
"That's true," he says with a wave.  "I've been out here about six months, but I'm still a Celtic fan."

"Not a Lakers fan yet?"

He turns around.  "Not yet.  Still Celtics.  Can you believe the games against the Heat?"

"I write a Sports Blog, and all I'm hearing is about the refereeing."
 
He walks back.  "Disgraceful.  A blind man could see the Heat is getting all the calls.   They should give the game ball to the referees."  He looks at me.
 
"Yeah, I watched.  LeBron seemed to be at the free throw line a lot."

"A lot?"  His face a tint of pink.  "If LeBron misses a lay-up, he must have been fouled.  He's LeBron James."  The man looks out at the fast moving traffic.

"I've watched a ton of basketball," I say.  "And you're right, there is a difference between the way referees approach regular season games and playoff games.  They usually call less fouls.  They let them play it out."

"Rondo shoves a guy.  That's might be a legit T, but the rest?  Give me a break.  Their calls totally change  the momentum of the game."

"So, you think it's rigged?" I say.
 
"Of course it is."  His face is dark pink, eyes growing dark.  "You saw the games."

"But doesn't LeBron attacks the basket.  He'll always draw more fouls. The Celtics are more jump shooters.  So, they get less fouls.  I've written about the Celtics.  I'm on Twitter.  They say that the Celtics are past their prime.  They're not quick anymore.  So they have to fouls the quicker Heat."

"I've heard it before," he says.  "Quit whining about the refs. But come on.  I don't like the power Stern has over what goes on.  Third game, after all this will be okay, everybody will be watching the refs.  But LeBron will get his ring.  The refs'll make sure of that."

His eyes are steel ball bearings.  His breath is heavy.

"There is a lot left up to interpretation," I say.

He touches my arm.  "Hey, I'm sorry.  I'm getting a little worked up, but...they never call traveling anymore.   Stick a fork in you, the Celtics are done."

He rubs his forehead.

"Let me say this, I'm sorry to keep you...but... I think the NBA is fixed because it's in decline. It's not basketball anymore. Its marketing for team owners.

"They stopped Chris Paul going to the Lakers, but LeBron?  He can go where he wants."  He waves his hands in the air.  "I'll see you...I'm sorry...And what about the lottery."  He turns back.  "Why  don't they show the lottery balls anymore?  It's all done behind a curtain?"

"But," he says, looking down at his Celtic Jersey again.  "I guess I'm a die hard.  It just look like the refs are wearing Heat Jerseys, and there's nothing you can do about it but watch." 

He turns and walks up the boulevard.  I watch him as I enter.

A cry-baby Celtic Fan?  Phony outrage?  The coffee arrives.  I look at my reflection as I stir.  I watched the games.
 
You know, I think he's right.  Of all the major sports, Basketball leaves so much to the refs.  One T can change momentum.  As can a charge or a foul.  I'm not blind.  I watched the games.  
.............................

Help comes from:
Bleacherreport.com/articles/1199690-heat-vs-celtics
News.bostonherald.com/sports/basketball,
Google/Images,  readabilityformulas.com

No comments:

Post a Comment