Saturday, January 28, 2012

SHANGHAI AND THE GIANTS

I sit at my usual spot in the back.  Lunch at the Montana Galley,  A poached smelt on rye, Mayo and mustard, tall glass of buttermilk. 

I look up.

"Woody. What is happening?"  .

"Well, as I live and breath. " I say,.  As I chew my fish,  he slides into the booth.  "If it isn't Palermo Sicily.  How goes the Fresh Air Taxi Company?  Perfect, sunny day to have a job driving a cab."

"A fine day to have any kind of job.  Sun or no sun.  And today you should be referring to me as Mr. Sicily, since I am just adding a new Fresh Air taxi cab to my fleet."

He smiles, and waves to Helena, the owner, her eye on us form the kitchen. The food brings them in.  Helena keeps them coming back, she being so bubbly with the clientele.

"Hey, reason I am here, please put me down for $100 on the Giants. They are certainly looking like winners"

"$100?  So, you're saying you want me to extend you credit?"

"Come on.  You know I am good for it.  I am needing all my available funds for the expansion of my growing  business,  Do you know how competitive the independent taxi business is in LA?" 

I'm reading the Racing Form, so I have to shift gears. I won't find Super Bowl odds in the Form,  not even in the back, not even after the long lists of scratches.

"Well," I say. "For Super Bowl odd, I'll have to make a call, Pauly."

He raises his eyebrows.

"Upps." I say. "Sorry, Mr. Sicily.  Let me phone a friend, get the current odds." 

He smiles, and is out of the booth, on his way toward the kitchen and Helena.


I thumb my iPod.

"Yes?"

"This Key West?"

"Who wants to know?"

"Key, it me.  Brentwood."

"Oh, hey," says Key.  "Woody.  Okay., okay  I know.  Probably looking for that $50 on that Laker Heat game."

"Yeah, 2008."

"Well, it's been real tight down here. I claimed this $1000 maiden about a week ago at Hialeah."

"$1000, huh?"

"Woody, okay, okay, what with expenses, stable rental, feed, oh my God, you know how much straw costs these days? Entry fees, jock has to get something...I'm flat..." 

"Relax, Key," I say.  "Guy wants to bet on the Super Bowl, so instantly I thought who else to call but Key West."

"Woody, okay, sure, but hey, while I got you on the phone. I got this jock, he says this horse in the fifth at Belmont..."

"No thanks, Key.  I'm not paying for any more of your hot tips.  I'm looking for Super Bowl odds. Remember, Moos Jaw, couldn't lose, guaranteed?  Jumped the fence and ran around in the infield. Everybody was in hysterics, while I'm tearing up a handful of losing tickets.  Moose Jaw, last seen headed north for Saskatoon."

"Okay, okay. He was homesick.  How'd I know?"

"Just the odds, Key.  Just the odds."  

I look over at Pauly.  He sits with Helena, and they are laughing.  Should I be jealous?

"Okay, okay.  Odds.  Everything points to New England. Big money will come in on the Pats. Brady, Bilachek have a national following, but mostly it's faith in Brady. 

"Pats by 3 1/2.  Overs is 53.  $115 to win $100, and  $100 to win $120.  This is currently from the Cosmopolitan, Hard Rock, and Palazzo Books in Vegas.  So, here's what I'd do,  Give your mark Patriots by 3, with overs of 55. You'll probably be safe."

"Perfect. Thanks Key."

"Remember, the 49ers almost beat New York, even with Alex Smith.  Brady will take charge. Take the unders. Manning will not be able to overcome New England's defense. Money'll be made betting on New England.  That's my take." 

"Thanks Key. I knew you'd have good advice.  Just send me $25 and we're even."

"Good as in the mail, Woody.  Hey, this horse I've been watching at Hialeah. Durango.  Maybe you could, you know, front me....?"

"So long, Key."


Pauly continues to chews the fat with Helena, who, as I say, is very bubbly with the customers.

I wave and he is back. He slides into the booth.  "I am thinking the Giants have a good offense."

"How come you know so much about football?  I thought you were all about soccer?"

"Here is how it is.  I am seeing this story on KLUK TV news last night. Man has a camel who is able to see into the future. A camel, can you believe,  It can pick winners, so I says to myself, why not Shanghai?"

"Shanghai?"

"My cat.  Long story.  Fare into Chinatown, this Chinese lady,  forgets her cat. Don't ask.  Anyway.  This camel I am watching on TV picks NFL games, as good as the guys in Vegas, if not better."

He nods his head,

"Cat has nine lives, right, so I am thinking Shanghai is nine times smarter that some guy's camel. Anyway, I get these pictures of Eli Manning, and Tom Brady, put them down on the floor..."

"And Shanghai goes to the picture of Eli."

"How did you know?"

I shrug.

"Ok smarty," says Mr. Sicily, "How is Shanghai coming up with the score?"

"You took some paper, and you wrote some numbers..."

"No, NO.  You gotta listen to this, it is kinda tricky.  I take this deck of cards, put them out on the floor.  Then I turn Shanghai around so he is dizzy and say. GO.  Nine of diamonds."

"So?  Giants by 9?  That's your bet?"

"Shanghai knows, I am telling you.   If ground hogs are predicting the weather. Shanghai can pick Super Bowls."

He pulls out his phone. "Got a pick up at LAX.  So, I am down for New York, and 3 points, and over 55.  One hundred dollar?" 

"Deal," I say.

He stands up. "Woody, " he says. "I am reading your column in the Valley Post Picayune.  What are you thinking?  49ers in the Super Bowl, with Terrell Owens being their wide receiver?  My friend, stick to race horses."  He laughs.  "Ariva Derchi."

"Drive real careful, there Mr. Sicily."

I'm ready to leave when, to my good fortune, Helena slides into the booth.  "Stick around.  I want some of this action."

I breathe deeply.  "Say what?  You want action?"

"I was listening."  She pushes $10 bill toward me. "I'll take New York to win."

I pat her hand and push it back. "Tell you what. You win, I'll be your slave for a day."

Silence.  She blinks. "And if I lose?"

I look into her large brown eyes, and just smile. 

No comments:

Post a Comment