Monday, March 5, 2012

JESUS, HIT LISTS AND THE NFL

Two players sit by their lockers.  One crosses himself.  "Please Lord," he says.  "Make us winners in this game today, and please watch over me so I don't get hurt too bad.  I want to do my best, without getting hurt bad. Thank you, Lord.  Amen."

"Amen " says the other.  "Got your list. $1,000 for a cart-off, and $1,500 for a knockout.  Extra money's something to shoot for."

A horn sounds.

"Okay," say the player.  "Pre-game meeting, or should I say pre-game screaming from the coach."  He laughs and moves away.  "You coming?" 

"Give me a second, " says Jackson.  He hesitates, then takes a sheet of paper out of his locker, and opens it. 

It is a list of names, and a list of money amounts.

Jackson looks up. 

There is a light at the end of the lockers.  It is around a Man's head.  The Man wears sandals, has long hair, and wears a linen tunic.

"Hello Jackson. Linebacker from Mississippi State."

Jackson stands up.

"What is that?" asks The Man in the Linen Tunic. 

"What?  Do I know you?"  He looks at the Man's sandals, and squints at the bright light.  "No way."

He steps back. "And how'd you know who I was?" 

"Well, I kinda know quite a bit about you.  I came by to talk for a minute."

"Haven't really got time.  I gotta players meeting."

"I don't usually make personal appearances, but I thought this was that important.  Should only take a minute.  That piece of paper in your hand?"

Jackson throws the paper back into his locker and pushes to close it.

The Man in the Linen Tunic, holds the door, and takes out the sheet of paper. He looks at it.

"We know, don't we, what this is?"

"Are you really who you are?  Look, it's just something to help me focus on my game, that 's all."

"Come on, Jackson.  Remember who you're talking to.  This is a hit list.  I know all about it.  It's nothing new.  And the NFL has known about this for quite sometime.  They're giving you extra money to mame and cripple people?" 

"But, what am I supposed to do.  I have to go after the other guys anyway. Why not take the money. That's how the game is played."

"It's not whether you win or lose..."

"But it is.  Who wants to lose?" 

"...It's how you play the game.  Ever heard that?"

"It's $1,500.  How can I not go for that?"

"What else would you do for $1,500?"

"I got people to pay. My agent, my brother-in-law...says he's looking for work... and my family. Who would not be happy I got that extra money?"

"Me for one." says The Man in the Linen Tunic.

A player sticks his head around the lockers.  "Who you talking to, Jackson?  Hey, we got a meeting." 

"Look," says Jackson.  "It wasn't my idea, anyway.  Why don't you go talk to the coach?  He started this list.  I'm just doing what the team tells me to do."

"Intentionally trying to mame or kill someone, that's okay?   How am I supposed to condone this?  Don't you think the other team is asking me for a win too?"

He looks at the paper, then down at Jackson, linebacker from Mississippi State.

"This would be illegal if you did it out in the street somewhere."

"Come on, it's part of the game."

"No game I want to be involved in," .says The Man in the Linen Tunic,  "Even if you could somehow not participate, you're playing in a league that promotes this kind of behavior.  They say otherwise, but we know.  How do you think that makes me feel?"

"Well, I guess..."

"You're trapped.  It's the lure of the money.  Do you really want to mame the players on the other team?".

"No, well, yes...no.  I just want them to be blocked out of the plays.  I'll be doing my job."

"I know who is involved in all this. This all started when the NFL movie people needed harder hits in the tapes they sell.  So they came up with this scheme to get players, how should I say it, more motivated."

The horn sounds again.

"My followers could never play in a league that excused this. Praising me is a mistake, if you do not vocally condemn such an outrage."

"I gotta go.  Game is starting pretty soon."

"Brutality in sports has become a very disturbing aspect of modern society down here.  It's certainly something I'll have to discuss more in my next meeting with Dad and our group."

The Man in  the Linen Tunic takes out his SmartPhone.  "Nifty little thing here.  A lot easier to stay in touch with Dad."  He touches the screen.  "Guess I got a meeting too.  Mainly the discussion's been about Greed, and lack of Charity.  So...Wait, that Denver quarterback's also asking for my help.  I'll see how he feels about all this."

"Hey," says a man wearing a whistle. "Jackson, Come on.  What are you doing back here.  You talking to yourself?  Get your stuff.  Let's go."

"On my way."  He slams his locker closed, grabs his helmet, and jogs out onto the field.

Jackson, linebacker from Mississippi State stops.  He waits, then rushes back to his locker, pulls out the sheet of names and prices, and dashes back out on the field.  He flashes the folded paper to the coach, who nods and waves him out onto the field.

"Get out there Jackson.  Knock 'em dead.  You're a Saint.  We know how to win."

"You got it coach. I'll be gunnin' for that extra money." 

Watching from the sideline, The Man in the Linen Tunic turns and leaves the stadium. He does not look back.  

--------------

Help comes from:

Google/Images,  Wikipedia,
jspell.com,  readabilityformulas.com
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2012
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/17545489/nfl-saints-bounty-program
 http://atlanta.sbnation.com
http://www.nflfilms.com/specialorders/index.html

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/03/02/saints.bounties/index.html#ixzz1o0oYNlXK

No comments:

Post a Comment