Thursday, March 29, 2012

SID, SAMMY, and NORM TALK TEBOW

Three men sit on a cloud;  Sid Luckman, Sammy Baugh, and Norm Van Brocklin.  They rest their wings as they play five card draw.

Sammy shuffles up.

"I still have an NFL record, you know," says Sid.   "Highest yards per attempt, in one season.  Back in 1943.  I averaged 10.86 yards per pass. Still the best."

Norm deals.

"Hey, I'm still in the books too, you know."  says Sammy.  "Highest average, punting in one season. 51.40, with the Redskins, 1940.  Me, the quarterback."

"I was the first to pass over 500 yards in one game," says Norm.  "554 yards, 1951.  Brady, Brees, Marino, even Broadway Joe.  I still got 'em all beat.  Who's going to catch me?"

"First 6 touchdown passing game," says Sammy.  October 31, 1943

"First 7 touchdown passing game," says Sid.  "November 14, 1943

They both laugh and bump fists.

They fan their cards
.
"Jacks or better," says Sammy.  "I'll check."

"Check," says Sid.

"Well, I'll open for $1,000," says Norm.

"$1,000?" says Sammy.  "Norm, come on.  We're going to be here for a long time.  I'll go broke."

"Okay," says Norm. "I'll give you two a break.  A penny.  Is that too much?"

They're both in.

"What do you think what's going on with these trades?  Peyton to the Broncos, Tebow to the Jets.  I've been reading about it.  Joe Montana thinks Sanchez is better than Tebow."

"Two quarterbacks on one team," says  Norm.  "Could work.  Worked for me.  It's like having a relief pitcher.  I did it with Bob Waterfield.  Made us NFL Champs."

"Hey,  I led the league in punting, passing, and interceptions in the same season."  says Sammy.  "They think they're so tough these guys."

"Yeah, yeah, yeah, Sammy,"  says Sid.  "Come on, deal.  I'll take three."

"Three, huh?" says Sammy  "Okay then, I'll take just one."

"This is a test for Sanchez, dealing with distractions," says Sid. "I know, I played in New York."

Sammy deals the cards.


"As a traditional quarterback,"  says Sid.  "Sanchez is better than Tebow.  Montana's right about that. But Tebow has shown he can win games in the final minutes, and who doesn't like that?"

"He is good,"  says Norm. "I've been watching him.  For Quarterbacks that have a minimum 10 total touchdowns, he's the best in history.  125 touches, he's made 11 touchdowns, 5 passing, and 6 rushing.  Highest percentage in NFL history.  There's a lot of potential there."

"I read that too what Montana said.  Sanchez should be the guy, Tebow's on the bench.  Joe should know about being traded.  He was traded and Steve Young took over.  He knows controversies.  Tebow might take over the Jets.  We'll have to wait and see."

"Tebow has become a pop-culture figure whose every move is news, even if all he did was get traded."

"He brings in the crowds.  That's the name of the game.  Fans come for excitement.  Tebow's exciting."

"Tebow mania," says Sid.  "Could tear the Jets apart worse than it did in Denver. In Denver, everyone hated their starter and wanted Tebow.   He sure is a runner when plays break down, that's for sure."

"Jake Plummer had some words too, I hear,"  says Norm.

"He was saying that Tebow bugs him.  Whatever Tebow's beliefs, he should praise the guys that played behind him, blocked for him, and caught your passes.  It's a team game. That's Jake's take."

"Broadway Joe had his say too." says Sammy.  "Listen to this."  He pulls out his SmartPhone, and thumbs Play.  'Well, I'll tell ya, the way the Jets have played recently they need the Good Lord on their side, so this could be a major move.  I don't know anyone that doesn't have a special feeling about Tim Tebow."

He waves the SmartPhone in the air. "I sure like these things.  I'm still learning what it can do."

They all nod.

"Well, the Good Lord is down on the NFL right now. A League that condones crippling players for extra pay.  That bounty stuff with the Saints and Falcons.  Tebow might have to disavow this bounty practice verbally before he's looked upon up here as one of the real good guys."

"Latest is Steve Young," says Sammy. "He thinks Tebow is the greatest player to ever play college football.  It'll be tough for him to play second fiddle.  I don't think I could."

"But it's front page drama about the NFL all year long.  I like it."

"So," says Sid. "How we on Tebow?"

"I think he's a wait and see kinda guy," says Sammy.

"Just so long as he doesn't break my record," says Norm.
 
"I gotta go. I got a spinning class," says Sid.  "What?  Hey, I take care of myself."

"Me and Bobby Layne," says Sammy.  "We're working through some old  NFL films, chips and dip.  So I'm off too."

 "Hey guys, wait," says Norm.  "I got 3 sixes."

"Hate to tell you, Boss," says Sammy.  "But that will never be a winning hand."
 
"But, guys.  Come on."

"Call us, Norm.  We're not going anywhere soon."

And off they sour into the clouds.
..........................
Help comes from:
sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers
mercurynews.com/football-headlines/ci_20258205/joe-montana
Google/Images, Wikipedia/Sammy Baugh/Norm Van Brocklin/Sid Luckman
http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/11553/cardinal-dolan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Football_League_records

No comments:

Post a Comment